On 08/04/2011 10:56 AM, Joris Meys wrote:
Dear all,

I do not completely understand following behaviour :

>  con<- file("test.txt")
>  isOpen(con)
[1] FALSE
>  open(con)
>  isOpen(con)
[1] TRUE
>  close(con)
>  isOpen(con)
Error in isOpen(con) : invalid connection
>  str(con)
Classes 'file', 'connection'  atomic [1:1] 3
   ..- attr(*, "conn_id")=<externalptr>

Why do I get an error, indicating an invalid connection, after I
closed a connection? Is this to be expected?

Quoting ?close: " ‘close’ closes and destroys a connection. " In the current implementation, connections are a finite resource, and you need to be able to get rid of them when you are done. close(con) is the way to do that. If you want to re-open it, you need to remember the filename (or extract it before calling close()), and issue another call to file().

Duncan Murdoch