On 03/05/2011 7:44 PM, Yihui Xie wrote:
Hi,

I guess this issue must have been brought forward long time ago, but I
still hope you can consider under Windows (during installation):

1. put R's bin path in the PATH variable of the system so that we can
use the commands "R" and "Rscript" more easily;

Few Windows users use those commands. The ones who do are generally exactly the ones who know how to edit the PATH variable themselves.

For most users (the ones who start R from the shortcut), there's no need to mess with the PATH variable. Personally, I hate programs that do that. And with R, it's now complicated, because there are 2 different directories holding executables: bin/i386 and bin/x64. (The bin directory also holds some, but that's just for back compatibility.) How could the installer know which of those to put in the PATH? At installation time, a user isn't going to know which one he/she needs.

2. remove the version string like R-2.13.0 in the default installation
directory, e.g. only use a directory like C:/Program Files/R/ instead
of C:/Program Files/R/R-2.13.0/; I know many people just follow the
default setting when installing R, and this version string will often
lead to many (unnecessary) copies of R in the system and brings
difficulty to the first issue (several possible bin directories);

Multiple installs give you the possibility of reproducing things that don't work in the latest R version. I think it's a good practice to keep multiple installs on your system if you have the space, and since disk space is cheap these days, that's not so uncommon.

Duncan Murdoch

I'm aware of some existing efforts in overcoming the difficulty of
calling R under Windows like the R batch files project
(http://code.google.com/p/batchfiles/), but I believe this is better
to be solved in R directly.

Thanks!

Regards,