On 19.05.2011 14:58, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> [...]
>

>> I work a lot with named nested lists with arbitrary degrees of
>> "nestedness". In order to retrieve the names and/or values of "bottom
>> layer/bottom tier", I love the functionality of 'unlist()', or
>> 'names(unlist(x))', respectively as it avoids traversing the nested
>> lists via recursive loop constructs. I'm also aware that the general
>> suggestion is probably to keep nestedness as low as possible when
>> working with lists, but arbitrary deeply nested lists came in quite
>> handy for me as long as each element is named and as long as I can
>> quickly add and retrieve element values via "name paths".
>>
>> Here's a little example list:
>> lst<- list(a=list(a.1=list(a.1.1=NA, a.1.2=5), a.2=list()), b=NULL)
>>
>> It would be awesome if 'unlist(x)' could be extended with the following
>> functionality:
>>
>> 1) An argument such as 'delim' that controls how the respective layer
>> names are pasted.
>> Right now, they are always separated by a dot:
>> >  names(unlist(lst))
>> [1] "a.a.1.a.1.1" "a.a.1.a.1.2"
>> Desired:
>> >  names(unlist(lst, delim="/"))
>> [1] "a/a.1/a.1.1" "a/a.1/a.1.2"
>> >  names(unlist(lst, delim="_"))
>> [1] "a_a.1_a.1.1" "a_a.1_a.1.2"
>>
>> 2)  An argument that allows to include either elements of zero length or
>> of value NULL to be *included* in the resulting output.
>> Right now, they are dropped (which makes perfect sense as NULL values
>> and zero length values are dropped in vectors):
>> >  c(1,2, NULL, numeric())
>> [1] 1 2
>> >  unlist(lst)
>> a.a.1.a.1.1 a.a.1.a.1.2
>>            NA           5
>> Desired:
>> >  unlist(lst, delim="/", keep.special=TRUE)
>> $a/a.1/a.1.1
>> [1] NA
>>
>> $a/a.1/a.1.2
>> [1] 5
>>
>> $a/a.2
>> list()
>>
>> $b
>> NULL
>> Of course, this would not be a true 'unlist' anymore, but something like
>> 'retrieveBottomLayer()'.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for providing such fast stuff as 'unlist()'! Unfortunately,
>> I don't know my way around internal C routines and therefore I would
>> greatly appreciate if core team developers would consider my two
>> suggestions.
>
> The suggestions seem reasonable, but are difficult to implement.  The
> problem is that unlist() is a generic function, but there's no
> unlist.default() in R:  the default and method dispatch are
> implemented at the C level.  Normally adding arguments to the default
> method doesn't cause problems elsewhere, because methods only need to
> be compatible with the generic.  But since there's no way to modify
> the argument list of the default method in this case, the generic
> function would need to be modified, and that means every unlist method

Okay, get it. Thanks for the insight.

> In case someone else does, I'd suggest a different change than the
> "keep.special" argument.  I think a "coerce=TRUE" argument would be
> better:  If TRUE, you get the current behaviour, which coerces
> components according to the hierarchy listed on the help page.  If
> FALSE, then no coercion is done, and unlist() just flattens the list
> into a new one, e.g.
>
> unlist( list(1, 2, NULL, list("A", "B")), coerce=FALSE)
>
> would return list(1, 2, NULL, "A", "B") instead of c("1", "2", "A", "B").
>
> One workaround I thought of was to add an element to the list that
> couldn't be coerced, but this doesn't work.  For example:
>
> e <- environment() # can't be coerced
> x <- list(1, 2, NULL, list("A", "B"), e)
> unlist(x)
>
> # Returns list(1,2,"A","B",e)
>
> I think it would be reasonable for this version to retain the NULL,
> since it is not doing any coercion.

Thanks for taking the time to address this. A function that also seemed
pretty fast to me with respect to retrieving list structures is 'str(x)'
and I thought about rewriting it to have it return the desired result.
But as far as I understand the 'str.default()' method also "just"
depends on recursive looping. Can you think of any other more efficient
way to get the job done?

Best regards,
Janko

> Duncan Murdoch

*Janko Thyson*
janko.thy...@googlemail.com <mailto:janko.thy...@googlemail.com>

Jesuitenstraße 3
D-85049 Ingolstadt

Mobile: +49 (0)176 83294257

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorized use by the intended
information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be
copied, disclosed to, retained or used by any other party.
If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this
e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.