Dear List,

when I first started to use S4 classes, I used the function
'completeClassDef()' in order to see the super- and subclasses of a
certain class:

setClass(Class="A", representation=list(a="numeric"))
setClass(Class="B", contains="A", representation=list(b="character"))
# Super
x <- completeClassDefinition("B")
attributes(x)
names(x@contains)
# Sub
x <- completeClassDefinition("A")
attributes(x)
names(x@subclasses)

This also does the trick for Reference Classes for me. However, I
re-read the respective section on the help page and wondered if I should
be more careful about using this function for this purpose as the page says:
"|completeClassDefinition: |Completes the definition of |Class|,
relative to the class definitions visible from environment |where|. If
|doExtends| is |TRUE|, complete the super- and sub-class information.
This function is called when a class is defined or re-defined."

So here are my questions:
1) Is it safe to call 'completeClassDef()' explicitly or can anything be
"overwritten" by this?
2) Is there a better way to query the super-/subclasses of a certain
S4/Reference Class?

Best regards and I'd like to take this opportunity to express my
gratitude to everyone on this list who takes the time to provide such
great help!
Janko

*Janko Thyson*
janko.thy...@googlemail.com <mailto:janko.thy...@googlemail.com>

Jesuitenstraße 3
D-85049 Ingolstadt

Mobile: +49 (0)176 83294257

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorized use by the intended
information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be
copied, disclosed to, retained or used by any other party.
If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this
e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.