On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 7:17 PM, oliver <oli...@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 02:23:29PM -0400, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> other
> is

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Hmhh, it was not randomly chosen, it was, what I got as a hint here on
> the list.
> > >

> > It was not provided to you to look at how it checks arguments. For basic
> > usage it's better to look at the R code. The coding styles vary a lot in
> > packages (and so does the quality of packages) - some of them are really
> bad,
> > but you have to remember that most people write packages in their free
> time and
> > are not programmers...
>
> OK, I see.

Of course - most of R core aren't "programmers" either - whatever that
means.  Statisticians, mathematicians, etc...

;-)

Most contributed packages aren't meant to be case studies in a comp-sci
class either, they are meant to solve real world problems - problems that
many of us work on daily.

That said, I'd also say look to R sources first, but since many things in R
core aren't available in the API - you aren't really able to copy the 'best
practices' alluded to.  And sometimes you've got to bootstrap solutions when
the list is otherwise silent.  Another reason that you should look outside
of R sources in addition to inside of them is that the community code is far
more abundant that the core code.  Sort of like theory vs. practice - they
only teach so much in school.

For reference, TYPEOF is straight from R source (of course):

http://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/main/subset.c

Cheers,
Jeff

> [...]
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > If it's a vector, I can just pic the first element.
> >
> > Yes, but only if it's not a vector of length zero - hence the necessary
> check.
> >

> > > Or does   LENGTH(sfile)  give the length of the string itself
> > > (like strlen(3))?
> > >

> > No.
> [...]
>
> OK, I looked at this now.
>
> LENGTH() checks the length of the vector.
>
> Good to know this.
>
> So the problem of a vector of length 0 can be with any arguments of type
> SEXP,
> hence I will need to check ANY arg on it's length.
>
> This is vital to stability under any situation.
>
> Thanks for this valuable hint!
>
> I will add checks for all my SEXP-args.
>

> Ciao,
>   Oliver