R CMD check is R code: you can run the R code for yourself using R's debugging facilities. In this case start with 'R CMD Rd2pdf pkg-name' (which should give the same error, as that is what R CMD check calls), then run that R code directly (there are comments in the code in R-devel about how to do so).