On 14.10.2011 20:53, Nick Sabbe wrote:

So other people from the administration tell you which software to use
for teaching? And what happens if they tell you only Excel is
available?
... weird ...

On the contrary, I should say: very common. We have hardly any control over
what is installed on the application servers at our university (let alone
how well it is installed).

You can still use the old version there, if the new version depends on
  >= 2.14.0. The old version will stay in the binary repositories for
old
versions of R and in the package archives of the source repository as
well. I think Duncan explained that already.

Then what about new features that don't depend on parallel?

What I do not understand (both in the reasoning of this thread and in practise): How do you install the package with its new features if you cannot install a new version of R with its new features? And why is it so important to get the new features of the package but not to get a new version of R with new features and many bugfixes?

If it is possible for you to install a new version of that package in your labs, you are also able to install a new version of R, right?

Maintenance hell
is born, just because you effectively force somebody to fork (True, the R
builders are not the ones forcing people to stay on some "old" version, yet
this scenario is not that strange that it should be ditched without regard).

A second point is that the package would not *depend* or anything on
R>=
2.14.0.

But it depends on it: it won't pass the checks for R<  2.14.0.

Somewhat silly if it only depends on it because of the check, no?

Yes, somewhat, but actually I still do not see the reason why the new package should be able to work under R < 2.14.0 (see above).

Also note that the package would be accepted on CRAN as is, if you declared "parallel" as a Suggests, as far as I understand Jari. At least binaries for Windows for old R versions will be built, since I am checking with
_R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=FALSE
on Windows. Therefore, I believe (I haven't seen the package) this discussion is meaningless anyway.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

Nick Sabbe
--