Hadley,

Any chance of changing fun.aggregate to FUN and value_var to value.var?

aggregate(.., FUN, ...)
acast(..., fun.aggregate, ...)

cast(..., value.var)
acast(..., value_var)

Side note: My fantasy for R 3.0 would be to fix the obvious inconsistencies
in function names/arguments, use Roxygen format for the documentation,
change the egregious [ , , drop=TRUE] to FALSE and paste(..., sep=""),
install packages on the fly, and improve consistency for functions dealing
with colors (hex, 0-1, 0-255, etc).

Kevin