On Nov 18, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

I'm sorry about the tone of my previous email. Let me try again in a
cleaner way.

The problem is: R or the organisation behind R via its infrastructure
seems to be endorsing R-Forge, and R-Forge is hosting at least one
project whose sole purpose is to link R with non-free software. This
looks like endorsement of non-free software, which is contrary to the
aims of the GNU project, of which R today claims to be a part.

Are you aware that R has two other major trunks besides the Linux one? Those of us with Mac or Windows hardware/software devices might be threatened with discontinuation of our access to R if your logic prevails.

There are several solutions, but the only workable ones I see are to
either sever ties with the GNU project, clearly remove the endorsement
of the non-free project, or to make the non-free project free. Of
these, it is my sincere hope that the last one happens.

This entire argument seems quasi-religious. You seem to be claiming that there is a "non-free" moral and legal sinfulness that is passed by way of links on websites. There do not seem to be any boundaries to this process that are discernable from your writings.

That is all.

- Jordi G. H.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT