> From: x...@yihui.name
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:40:04 -0500
> To: r-devel@r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Rd] CRAN policies
>
> I have been wondering if it is possible to automate the checking
> process to reduce human efforts, e.g. automatically check the packages
> submitted to FTP, and send the package maintainer an email in case of
> warnings or errors (otherwise just move it to CRAN); package
> maintainers can appeal for a manual check by CRAN maintainers in case
> of false positives. As a package author, I really hate to bother CRAN
> maintainers each time I upload a new version and it passes R CMD check
> successfully, in which case I should have received an automatic email
> instead of Kurt's "hand-writing" "thanks, on CRAN now". Frankly
> speaking, it makes me feel guilty sometimes to update my packages,
> thinking of other 3700 packages on CRAN and how much time you CRAN
> maintainers are spending on checking the packages.

Indeed it is a good summary of how I felt for so long and in particular my
recent experience, which involved Kurt, Brian,  and Uwe.

I think win-builder certainly helps, but it is feasible with a Linux
counterpart "to have a final say"?

> I do not know how many package authors actually read this mailing
> list, so these policies may not really reach some authors at all.

Certainly more colleagues read the list than  have been revealed by the
postings.

Kind regards,

Jing Hua