On 03/01/2013 11:42, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
On 13-01-03 6:20 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:59 AM, peter dalgaard <pda...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 3, 2013, at 10:32 , Karl Forner wrote:

Hello,

The point is that I do not use tcltk, it gets loaded probably as a
dependency of a dependency of a package.
When I unload it all work perfectly fine. I just found it because one
of my computer did not have tk8.5 installed, and did not exhibit the
mentioned bug. So I really think something should be done about this.
Maybe the "gui loop" should not be run a the the loading of the tcltk
package, but
at the first function ran, or something like this.

Doesn't sound doable. It would be tricky to do and wouldn't help in
the cases where people actually want to use the GUI - plus, it would
leave a time bomb if you directly or indirectly fire up a Tk window
(say, the CRAN menu from install.packages()).

Would it be possible to separate the tk and tcl portions of tcltk into
two packages so that the tcltk package would be dependent on a new tcl
package ?  From the viewpoint of a user of tcltk there would be no
change but it would allow packages that only use tcl to declare a
dependency only on that.

By the way, tcl/tk 8.6 was released about 10 days ago with a ton of
attractive new features and it would be nice to have it in the R
windows build:
http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.6.html

I think it's unlikely that we will upgrade.  The binaries available at
that link do not have a license that would allow distribution with R,
and we no longer have the facilities (specific compiler, time, etc.) to
compile it ourselves.  I haven't tried myself, but my understanding is
that the sources are not compatible with our compiler suite.

More specifically, when last checked the sources do compile but do not work when loaded into R as memory gets corrupted.

Note that the version of Tcl/Tk made available for the CRAN Mac binary is older than that for Windows.

Duncan Murdoch

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk