Well, if all else fails read the manual:

The PDF documentation (including doc/NEWS.pdf) and building vignettes needs tex and latex, or pdftex and pdflatex. We require LaTeX version 2005/12/01 or later (for UTF-8 support). Building PDF package manuals (including the R reference manual) and vignettes is sensitive to the version of the LaTeX package hyperref and we recommend that the TeX distribution used is keep up-to-date. A number of LaTeX packages are required (including url.sty, and listings.sty) and others such as hyperref and inconsolata are desirable (and without them you will need to change R's defaults: see Making the manuals).

The default can be overridden by setting the environment variable R_RD4PDF. (On Unix-alikes, this will be picked up at install time and stored in etc/Renviron, but can still be overridden when the manuals are built.) The default value for R_RD4PDF is ‘times,inconsolata,hyper’: omit ‘hyper’ if you do not want hyperlinks (e.g. for printing the manual) or do not have LaTeX package hyperref, and omit ‘inconsolata’ if you do not have LaTeX package inconsolata installed.

On 04/02/2013 14:27, Jonathon Love wrote:
On 04/02/13 23:47, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
 > Probably, but if you want help you're going to need to give some more
 > information first, such as what exactly you installed from SVN, what OS
 > you are using, what target you tried to build, and anything else
 > necessary so that a potential helper can duplicate what you did.

my bad. sorry.

on ubuntu 12.10 i did a checkout of the 2.15.2 tag

https://svn.r-project.org/R/tags/R-2-15-2

next i ran the tools/rsync-recommended script

then i ran:

./configure

(it did give me these warnings)
configure: WARNING: you cannot build info or HTML versions of the R manuals
configure: WARNING: inconsolata.sty not found: PDF vignettes and package
manuals will not be rendered optimally

then i ran:

make

giving me the error:

building/updating vignettes for package 'utils' ...
processing 'Sweave.Rnw'
Error: running Sweave on vignette
'/home/jonathon/projects/R/src/library/utils/vignettes/Sweave.Rnw'
failed with message:
  chunk 2
Error in texi2dvi(file = file, pdf = TRUE, clean = clean, quiet = quiet,  :
   unable to run 'pdflatex' on 'example-1.tex'
Execution halted
make[1]: *** [vignettes] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jonathon/projects/R/src/library'
make: *** [vignettes] Error 2

other things that may be helpful:

gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1) 4.7.2
pdfTeX 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)

The problem seems to be with building vignette's for the recommended
packages. Any assistance would be appreciated.

with thanks

Jonathon Love

I'm trying to build R using the code from SVN. I am able to successfully
build the source from here:

http://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-2/R-2.15.2.tar.gz

However, when building the code checked out from SVN (either from 2.15.2
tag, or the trunk) I get the following error:

Error: running Sweave on vignette
'/home/jonathon/projects/R/src/library/utils/vignettes/Sweave.Rnw'
failed with message:
   chunk 2
Error in texi2dvi(file = file, pdf = TRUE, clean = clean, quiet =
quiet,  :
    unable to run 'pdflatex' on 'example-1.tex'
Execution halted
make[1]: *** [vignettes] Error 1

Is there a way I can fix this?

Duncan Murdoch