On 05.02.2013 12:01, Benjamin Hofner wrote:
I have a question regarding the build of my project papeR (hosted on
R-forge http://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=1574) with respect to
lme4.

Both, Windows and MacOS are complaining that lme4 doesn't export summary:

   Error : object 'summary' is not exported by 'namespace:lme4'
   ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'papeR'

Linux however builds the project as desired.

I now did check my package using Uwe Ligges' winbuilder project and got
positive results i.e. no errors for Windows there. See (for the next 72
hours):

http://win-builder.r-project.org/y3uwwx93nJ92
http://win-builder.r-project.org/10mtpspKx7us

Can anyone tell me why this happens (only on R-forge and only for
certain systems) and how to prevent this?

Perhaps the R-forge results are outdated? Looks like the R-forge builds (and hence probably also the checks) are stuck since some days.

[I already asked the R-forge maintainers and was redirected to the
general R mailing lists]

As a side note: The reason for importing lme4's summary is that
otherwise my function summary.fixef, which extracts fixed effects from

So, are summary.fixef and summary.mer methods or generics? If the former, why not call them via the generic?

Best,
Uwe Ligges

nlme and lme4 models for printing e.g. in reports, doesn't use/find
summary.mer on "mer" objects -- even if lme4 is loaded earlier. On the
other hand, lme models (from package nlme) are handled correctly despite
the fact that I do not import the corresponding summary function.

Thank you very much
   Benjamin