On 13-02-09 3:49 PM, Tim Triche, Jr. wrote:
To clarify, I favor changing the defaults for stringsAsFactors and
show.signif.stars to FALSE in R-3.0.0, and view any attempt to remove
either functionality as a seemingly simple but fundamentally misguided idea.

Both of these were discussed by R Core. I think it's unlikely the default for stringsAsFactors will be changed (some R Core members like the current behaviour), but it's fairly likely the show.signif.stars default will change. (That's if someone gets around to it: I personally don't care about that one. P-values are commonly used statistics, and the stars are just a simple graphical display of them. I find some p-values to be useful, and the display to be harmless.)

I think it's really unlikely the more extreme changes (i.e. dropping show.signif.stars completely, or dropping p-values) will happen.

Regarding stringsAsFactors: I'm not going to defend keeping it as is, I'll let the people who like it defend it. What I will likely do is make a few changes so that character vectors are automatically changed to factors in modelling functions, so that operating with stringsAsFactors=FALSE doesn't trigger silly warnings.

Duncan Murdoch

This is just my opinion, of course.  The change could easily be accompanied
by a startup notice or release notes indicating that the changes have been
made, and can be reverted to past behavior if the user so desires.  Perhaps
more users will investigate the various settings, as a happy side effect.

My thanks to everyone who spends time supporting and working on R-core.