The R interpreter does what it does at run time. The ambiguity is in
reasoning at any time _other than run time_ which environment the returned
value of 'x' is taken from.

This is one reason why R has been profiled to spend a significant amount of
time looking up names (
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jv/pubs/ecoop12.pdf-- see also:
http://xianblog.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/simply-start-over-and-build-something-better/).
In languages with strict lexical scope, all var references are
straightforwardly compiled into pointer jumps.

But my concern is that it is generally bad _style_ to have bindings that
are ambiguous in scope. Locking function environments would turn those
cases, if they occur, into errors that can be caught and corrected.

Peter