My original idea was to start translating Rd files directly. It looks easy
to just skip all the tags and translate rest (but maybe I'm wrong on this).
I'm sure we can figure out better ways to do this later.

To get an idea how big the documentation is, I've scraped all the .rd files
from ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/src/contrib/. In total there are
1,356,002 Rd files (including releases in archive). The good thing is that
there is 50% chance that nothing in documentation changes with new release
for a package.  In 30% of releases only single file in documentation is
changed. There is 80% chance that single file won't change with new
release. I have not included packages in base, but hopefully these are even
more stable.

You can find the summary on google docs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqX_LPR-VtE1dG10MkYzTlRDcDZMT2o4bmpSbF9aNlE#gid=0

I agree with the idea that translation for package should be treated as
optional add-on pack. I also think that that we need separate translations
for separate versions of package. In the simplest form we can keep similar
structure as current source code repository
ftp://cran.r-project.org/pub/R/src/contrib/ Example folder structure
proposal for package foo:

src/
..foo/
.......foo_1.0/
..............foo_1.0_man_cs.tar.gz
..............foo_1.0_man_en.tar.gz
..............foo_1.0_man_de.tar.gz

where cs/en/de are language codes of translation.

In the simplest form (and I think we really need to constraint scope of
this in 1st generation) the following functions have to be modified:

install.packages()
update.packages()
help()

Anyone interested in cooperation on this? Unfortunately my programming
skills are limited and I welcome any help.

Regards,

Tomas