Most operating systems have tools which allow you to audit the resources
used by a running process, for example the 'lsof' (list open files) command
on Unix and MacOS X.  Or, for more complex dynamic tracing, the DTrace
framework again on MacOS X or BSD Unix.

Not sure what the Windows equivalent would be, or what platform you are
using, but given the number of ways that code in packages and such may be
accessing files in C code possibly based on environment variables or other
configuration parameters, I would want to lean heavily on the operating
systems tools for things like this rather than rely on parsing your R code
looking for specific file access.

           - Murray