It seems like an easy solution to the "users don't know make" problem is to
provide a make file which runs any R code it finds in
pkg/inst/preinstall/preinstall.R, perhaps in dev_tools/inst/extras or
simply from a website.

That way the users don't need to know make, they just need to know what to
name the file with R code they want to run at the beginning of the install
process. The only time this wouldn't work would be if the package already
has another makefile, in which case the author of the package clearly knows
make and thus can add the necessary invocations him/herself.

Also no need to worry about local vs remote, github vs tarred source, etc.
It would all just work. My understanding is that this would include the
Windows binaries built by services like WinBuilder, though I'm not super
familiar with such things so there may be some details to watch out for.

There might be a security concern, but I don't think this would be any less
secure than installing a non-trusted R package in the first place.

~G

Gabriel Becker
Graduate Student
Statistics Department