On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Brian Lee Yung Rowe <r...@muxspace.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a script that automates the testing of reverse dependencies of
> a package. I found the function testInstalledPackage in the tools package,
> which seems to do what I want. However, when I use it for a source package
> that was installed with --install-tests, I've noticed that only the actual
> test files (e.g. located in inst/tests) are available and run. In other
> words the test harness script (e.g. in tests) is not copied, so any wiring
> to run tests isn't available when running testInstalledPackage.
>
> I tried loading the required packages (i.e. the installed package to
> retest plus the testing frameworks RUnit, testthat), but since
> testInstalledPackage makes an external call to R CMD BATCH, any packages
> loaded in my current environment have no effect on the tests. The only
> workaround that I've come up with is to add require statements to the top
> of each test file, but this is a bit onerous.
>
> My question is whether
> 1) there is a technique to force the test harness script (e.g.
> tests/run_tests.R, tests/doRUnit.R) to be copied into the installed source
> package, or
> 2) there is a way to have testInstalledPackage force the loading of
> required packages prior to executing test scripts, or
> 3) has someone already done this?

I can answer (3). devtools already has a function that does this:
  library(devtools)
  revdep_check('mypackage')

It's basically a wrapper for the revdep and check_cran functions from
devtools. In the development version of devtools (on Github) there are some
changes to improve the output of these functions.

-Winston