In the documentation the closed thing I see to an explanation of this is that ?detach says "Unloading some namespaces has undesirable side effects"

Can anyone explain why unloading tseries will load zoo? I don't think this behavior is specific to tseries, it's just an example. I realize one would not usually unload something that is not loaded, but I would expect it to do nothing or give an error. I only discovered this when trying to clean up to debug another problem.

R version 3.1.2 (2014-10-31) -- "Pumpkin Helmet"
and
R Under development (unstable) (2015-01-02 r67308) -- "Unsuffered Consequences"
Type 'q()' to quit R.

> loadedNamespaces()
[1] "base"      "datasets"  "graphics"  "grDevices" "methods"   "stats"
[7] "utils"
> unloadNamespace("tseries") # loads zoo ?
> loadedNamespaces()
[1] "base" "datasets" "graphics" "grDevices" "grid" "lattice"
 [7] "methods"   "quadprog"  "stats"     "utils"     "zoo"

Somewhat related, is there an easy way to get back to a "clean" state for loaded and attached things, as if R had just been started? I'm trying to do this in a vignette so it is not easy to stop and restart R.

Paul