Kurt pointed to the issue. Thanks. I did install r-recommended, but it seems something went wrong at some point. A reinstall got rid of the warnings.

Thanks to Dirk for his offer of help.

Now I'm still getting a namespace issue on the second run of an optimization problem. However, I think I need to do some more digging to narrow down where this issue is lurking. It may be some local matter, as with the r-recommended links failing.

Best, JN