I've gotton some good responses; thanks for the input. I'll proceed with my repairs down another path.

An underlying question then is "if the model frame is near useless, as the responses indicate, then why do all the standard methods save it (lm, glm, ..)"? I suspect the answer is that it helps hide (some of) the negative consquences of how formulas are scoped.

Terry T.