On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.dun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The "markdown" package does some of what R would need to make use of Sundown,
> but not all:  we really do need an R object representation of the parse tree,
> for functions like news() to work with in the short term, and the help system
> in the longer term.

John MacFarlane's reference implementation does provide the markdown
parsing tree, although by default it is only exposed in xml form. A
quick example:

  devtools::install_github("jeroenooms/commonmark")
  help(commonmark)

>From the xml tree you can easily extract news items using xpath, or we
could hack the libcmark library a bit to get the parse tree as an R
list.