Jan and Hadley,

There's also the issue of tests, vignettes, or examples requiring Suggested
packages (one of the core applications of Suggests, in fact). These are all
checked by R CMD check, so to ensure any package which should pass check
would do so without suggested packages installed would require turning all
of those checks off, which takes quite a few of the teeth out of R CMD
check (and thus the assurances granted by knowing a package passes it).
AFAIK (without going off and checking right now) you /could/ force R CMD
check to do this now with a combination of options, though, if that's
really what you want (which would allow your package to pass when
_R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ is set to false).

~G

Gabriel Becker, PhD
Associate Scientist (Bioinformatics)
Genentech Research