Le 31/05/2017 à 15:40, Joris Meys a écrit :
OTOH,

> sapply(1:9, function(i){
+   sum(dfr$time <= quantile(dfr$time, 1./3., type = i))
+ })
[1] 8 8 6 6 6 6 8 6 6

Only the default (type = 7) and the first two types give the result lines() gives now. I think there is plenty of reasons to give why any of the other 6 types might be better suited in Tukey's method.

So to my mind, chaning the definition of line() to give sensible output that is in accordance with the theory, does not imply any inconsistency with the quantile definition in R. At least not with 6 out of the 9 different ones ;-)
Nice shot.
But OTOE (on the other end ;)
> sapply(1:9, function(i){
+   sum(dfr$time >= quantile(dfr$time, 2./3., type = i))
+ })
[1] 8 8 8 8 6 6 8 6 6

Here "8" gains 5 votes against 4 for "6". There were two defector methods
that changed the point number and should be discarded. Which leaves us
with the score 3:4, still in favor of "6" but the default method should prevail
in my sens.

Serguei.