On 01/02/2018 7:44 AM, Joris Meys wrote:

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 1:29 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.dun...@gmail.com <mailto:murdoch.dun...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 31/01/2018 6:59 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

        On 30/01/2018 11:39 PM, Hadley Wickham wrote:

      [ lots deleted ]

            Personally, I don't find writing in comments any harder than
            writing
            in .Rd files, especially now that you can write in markdown
            and have
            it automatically translated to Rd formatting commands.

        I didn't know about the possibility of Markdown.  That's a good
        thing.
        You didn't say what editor you use, but RStudio is a good guess,
        and it
        also makes it easier to write in comments.

    I've taken a look at the Markdown support, and I think that is
    fantastic.  I'd rather it wasn't inline in the .R file (does it have
    to be?), but I'd say it tips the balance, and I'll certainly
    experiment with using that for new projects.

You don't have to put the Rmarkdown in the .R file of the function, there are ways to keep them in separate files. But keeping them in the same file does make it easier for Rmarkdown to eg generate the correct usage section and use the correct Rd makeup etc. At least that's my understanding of it. Hadley will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.  I haven't checked all the options and possibilities yet in the latest iterations of the package.

I don't see that in the Roxygen2 docs, so hopefully it is possible, and someone will point out how it's done.

Duncan Murdoch