On 07/25/2018 04:28 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

Not sure if this is a bug: where is it documented that this works not as above (which is what I would expect)?
The documentation doesn't say one way or the other. But the fact remains that base:::.getRequiredPackages2, when provided a non-null lib.loc, uses that lib.loc when checking versions of dependencies. So (to me) it seems a little incongruous that base:::.getRequiredPackages2 offers this functionality but library() doesn't take advantage of it. Moreover, it is already passing the 'quietly' argument...

For development puposes, you may want to try some devekopment version of one package agaiunst release versions of the others.
Agreed, in which case I would explicitly load the dependency first specifying a custom lib.loc.
This is the purpose of the above: take spam from ~lib and the other from .libPath().

Best,
Uwe Ligges