The ratio of object size to rds file size depends on the object.  Some
variation is due to how header information is stored in memory and in the
file but I suspect most is due to how compression works (e.g., a vector of
repeated values can be compressed into a smaller file than a bunch of
random bytes).

f <- function (data, ...)  {
    force(data)
    tf <- tempfile()
    on.exit(unlink(tf))
    save(data, file = tf)
    c(`obj/file size` = as.numeric(object.size(data)/file.size(tf)))
}

> f(rep(0,1e6))
obj/file size
     1021.456
> f(rep(0,1e6), compress=FALSE)
obj/file size
    0.9999986
> f(rep(89.7,1e6))
obj/file size
     682.6555
> f(log(1:1e6))
obj/file size
     1.309126
> f(vector("list",1e6))
obj/file size
     2021.744
> f(as.list(log(1:1e6)))
obj/file size
     8.907579
> f(sample(as.raw(0:255),size=8e6,replace=TRUE))
obj/file size
    0.9998433
> f(rep(as.raw(0:255),length=8e6))
obj/file size