I'd be happy to entertain patches or at least more specific
suggestions to improve strextract() and strcapture(). I hadn't
exported strextract(), because I wasn't quite sure how it should
behave. This feedback should be helpful.

Thanks,
Michael

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 2:20 PM Cyclic Group Z_1 via R-devel
<r-devel@r-project.org> wrote:

> Thank you, I am aware that there are packages that can accomplish this. I
> mentioned stringr::str_extract as a function that does not drop empty
> matches. I think that the behavior of regmatches(..., regexpr(...)) in base R
> should permit an option to prevent dropping of empty matches both for sake of
> consistency with the rest of the language (missing data does not yield a
> dropped index in other sorts of R functions, and an empty match conceptually
> corresponds with missing data) and facility of use in data.frames. The
> behavior of regmatches(..., gregexpr(...)) is not objectionable to me, as
> lists do not drop indices when they contain character(0) vectors.
> Alternatively, perhaps this should be reflected in the (currently
> non-exported) strextract.
>
> Best,
> CG

Michael Lawrence
Scientist, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Genentech, A Member of the Roche Group
Office +1 (650) 225-7760
micha...@gene.com

Join Genentech on LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube