Please note that ?NaN says

"Computations involving ‘NaN’ will return ‘NaN’ or perhaps ‘NA’: which of those two is not guaranteed and may depend on the R platform (since compilers may re-order computations)."

It is not reliable to depend on the distinction between NA and (non-NA) NaN. Part of the problem is that on some current systems it is not specified what the NaN payload will be after even simple arithmetic operations. Unfortunately changing R to make such distinction reliable  would be a major effort, most likely incur performance overhead even for computations where the distinction is not needed, and code changes would be required also in packages.

I think given this it is better not to offer a function to directly differentiate between NaN and NA.

Best
Tomas