On 15/05/2020 9:41 a.m., Martin Maechler wrote:
[ deletions ]
<whining>

     Why does nobody anymore  help R development by working with
     "R-devel", or at least then the alpha, beta and the "RC"
     (Release Candidate) versions that we release daily for about one
     month before the final release?

     Notably a highly staffed enterprise such as Rstudio (viz the bug
     report 17800 above), but also others could really help by
     starting to use the "next version" of R on a routine basis ...

<whining/
I understand the whining, bugs that get released are embarrassing. But when I read the NEWS, I can see that both the NEW FEATURES and BUG FIXES sections of x.y.0 releases tend to be much longer than the BUG FIXES sections in patch releases. That seems to indicate that things are working reasonably well.

For a really rough measure, just counting bullet points:

R 4.0.0:  65 new features, 55 bug fixes

R 3.6.3:  1 new feature, 7 bug fixes

R 3.6.2:  2 new features, 21 bug fixes

R 3.6.1:  0 new features, 16 bug fixes

R 3.6.0:  72 new features, 62 bug fixes

You can get these numbers programmatically:

R4 <- news()
table(R4$Category)

R3 <- news(package = "R-3")
table(R3$Version, R3$Category)