On 11/21/20 6:51 PM, Jan Gorecki wrote:
Dear R-developers,

Some of the more fat scripts (50+ GB mem used by R) that I am running,
when they finish they do quit with q("no", status=0)
Quite often it happens that there is an extra stderr output produced
at the very end which looks like this:

Warning message:
In .Internal(quit(save, status, runLast)) :
   system call failed: Cannot allocate memory

Is there any way to avoid this kind of warnings? I am using stderr
output for detecting failures in scripts and this warning is a false
positive of a failure.

Maybe quit function could wait little bit longer trying to allocate
before it raises this warning?

If you see this warning, some call to system() or system2() or similar, which executes an external program, failed to even run a shell to run that external program, because there was not enough memory. You should be able to find out where it happens by checking the exit status of system().

Tomas

Best regards,
Jan Gorecki