One might say that adjustcolor() performs affine color transformation. Argument
'offset' defines the shift in color space after the linear transformation
defined by argument 'transform'. In other words, 'offset' represents additive
color mixing (in the sense of adding lights, not paints) after linear
transformation.

> red <- rgb(1, 0, 0)
> green <- c(0, 0.9, 0, 1)
> adjustcolor(red, 1, 0.9, 0.9, 0.9, offset=green)
[1] "#E6E600FF"

("red + green = yellow")

However, the implementation of adjustcolor() is a bit inconsistent with this
description as it does not force 'offset' to be a color by using
col2rgb(offset, alpha=TRUE)/255. The help page already gives an example for
using 'offset' for the purpose of adding white light.