VScode is sorta-kinda open source https://opensource.com/article/20/6/open-source-alternatives-vs-code (that is, the default downloadable binaries are non-freely licensed). Presumably the open builds also work.

On the other hand, it's also developed by Microsoft, so it's not much of a surprise that it works better on Windows than some of the alternatives.

On 2022-05-15 5:48 p.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:
On 15/05/2022 5:01 p.m., Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
It is interesting that Paulo reports Rgui to behave differently from many (all?) other applications. However, I have no insight into Windows.

It's not a big surprise.  Rgui uses a UI library (Graphapp) that was written a very long time ago, and it hasn't adopted their updates in at least 15 years.  Additionally, Rgui hasn't really had any Windows users giving it the attention it needs.

And not nearly "all".  RStudio has different problems, which means everyone using the same UI library they use probably has them too.  I didn't see any open source projects in the list of things that work.

Duncan Murdoch

Best,
Kasper

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 3:32 PM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.dun...@gmail.com <mailto:murdoch.dun...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 15/05/2022 2:44 p.m., Ben Bolker wrote:
     >     I don't know if there's a good up-to-date list anywhere of
     > editors/IDEs that handle R nicely, but it would include at least:
     >
     >     Atom
     >     Sublime Text
     >     VS Code
     >     RStudio
     >     Jupyter notebooks
     >     vim
     >     emacs
     >     Tinn-R
     >
     >     It's worth being able to choose from such a list both for general      > aesthetic preferences, and for those with accessibility challenges.

    One more that I should have mentioned:  StatET, a plug-in for the
    Eclipse IDE.

     >    I do agree that it would be nice if there were a way to make the R
     > console work well with Dasher under Windows, but the technical
    details
     > are completely beyond me.

    A long time ago I used to know some of this stuff, but now I find
    working in Windows quite difficult.  I never knew it well enough to
    know
    the advantages and disadvantages of the approach RGui uses versus the
    one that dasher seems to be expecting.

    On the hopeful side, accessibility has always had a relatively high
    priority in the R Project, and there seems to be a recent push in that
    direction.  Perhaps there will be an opportunity for someone to
    bring up
    this issue at useR! 2022 (https://user2022.r-project.org

--
Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University