The SO post https://stackoverflow.com/q/77943180 tried to call globalCallingHandlers() from a function, and it failed with the error message "should not be called with handlers on the stack". A much simpler illustration of the same error comes from this line:

  try(globalCallingHandlers(warning = function(e) e))

The problem here is that try() sets an error handler, and globalCallingHandlers() sees it and aborts.

If I call globalCallingHandlers() with no arguments, I get a list of currently active global handlers. Is there also a way to get a list of active handlers, including non-global ones (like the one try() added in the line above)?

Duncan Murdoch