Hey Doug,

R is not a product that is provided by a company or any vendor that can be
procured through a vendor e.g. something on a GSA schedule.

Seems like you're caught in the bureaucracy hell hole. I used to help the
USAF, and other DoD members use R when I was at RStudio (now Posit).

I recommend you find someone in your organization who is doing Data
Science. They'll likely have charted a path and you can follow in their
footsteps.
For example https://www.linkedin.com/in/joshua-couse/.

Jeremy Allen has since taken over my role at Posit since I've left. I'm
sure he knows a plethora of people in the USAF who are using R and can help
you out.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremy-allen-data/