From: R-devel <r-devel-boun...@r-project.org> On Behalf Of Jan van der Laan
Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2024 2:38 AM
To: r-devel@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [Rd] Large vector support in data.frames

Ivan, Simon,

Thanks for the replies.

I can work around the limitation. I currently either divide the data
into shards or use a list with (long) vectors depending on what I am
trying to do. But I have to transform between the two representations
which takes time and memory and often need more code than I would have
if I could have used data.frames.

Being able to create large (> 2^31-1 rows) data.frames and doing some
basic things like selecting rows and columns, would already be really
nice. That would also allow package maintainers to start supporting
these data.frames. I imagine getting large data.frames working in
functions like lm, is not trivial and lm might not support this any time
soon. However, a package like biglm might.

But from what you are saying, I get the impression that this is not
something that is being actively worked on. I must say, my hands a kind
of itching to try.

Best,
Jan