Hello R Core team,

As someone who working on bindings to the API, having an index of the public
API is a very welcome change.

In order to improve the ability for users to explore the API, I would like to
propose adding a section of the API Index by category.

You already have the functions and variables categorized by section, so I would
suggest to use sections as the categories, and inside each category sort
alphabetically.
In any case,  whatever sorting strategy you come up with I would probably be
fine as long as it's not alphabetical.

While listing everything together in alphabetical order is tolerable, it is
easy to get lost when you don't know what you are looking for exactly. Also
many functions that serve different purpose all start with (R_* or Rf_*) making
alphabetical order more useless.

It would also be nice to have a third column with the declarations, but it
would be lower priority for me as by now I'm used to grepping whatever
declaration I need from the headers.

I am not familiar with texinfo, so I don't know if this is a trivial or tricky
request. Hope it's not.

Thank you, whether you consider this or not.

Best regards,
- Erez