Hi,

Is there any reason why .Rbuildignore is not used before copying package
files in R CMD build?

For some of the packages I develop I have rather large directories with
miscellaneous files for testing and other purposes. They are in my
.Rbuildignore (and .gitignore) file, but that doesn't prevent R CMD build
from trying to copy them on the build process. Having them copied either
breaks the build completely because /tmp directory gets out of space, or
just slows it down a lot. So I wonder if there is a specific reason for
this behavior and whether it could be change or controlled by some
parameter.

There is some discussion in the context of pkgbuild package:
https://github.com/r-lib/pkgbuild/issues/59 It provides a hackish
workaround for that, which also does not work on Windows.

Best,
Alexey