Thankyou!  This helped a lot.  I had mis-understood some of the chain of
functions which got to the eventual failure.  I can confirm that it does indeed
work if you create a url() first and it picks the appropriate back end as long
as the url.method option is set.

For the schannel back end I have:

> libcurlVersion()
[1] "8.6.0"
attr(,"ssl_version")
[1] "(OpenSSL/3.2.1) Schannel"
attr(,"libssh_version")
[1] "libssh2/1.11.0"

However I can't get either of the curl related methods to work.

> download.file('https://seurat.nygenome.org/azimuth/references/homologs.rds',
> destfile = "c:/Users/andrewss/homologs.rds", method="libcurl")
trying URL 'https://seurat.nygenome.org/azimuth/references/homologs.rds'
Error in
download.file("https://seurat.nygenome.org/azimuth/references/homologs.rds";,  :
  cannot open URL 'https://seurat.nygenome.org/azimuth/references/homologs.rds'
In addition: Warning message:
In download.file("https://seurat.nygenome.org/azimuth/references/homologs.rds";,
 :
  URL 'https://seurat.nygenome.org/azimuth/references/homologs.rds': status was
'SSL connect error'

> download.file('https://seurat.nygenome.org/azimuth/references/homologs.rds',
> destfile = "c:/Users/andrewss/homologs.rds", method="curl")
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed:
CRYPT_E_NO_REVOCATION_CHECK (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable
to check revocation for the certificate.
Error in
download.file("https://seurat.nygenome.org/azimuth/references/homologs.rds";,  :
  'curl' call had nonzero exit status

I realise that this may not be as simple as the certificate not being seen, and
that the system here may not fake the revocation infrastructure too, but I
don't see that this is going to change, and it's only the winet method which
actually allows anything to connect.

Simon.