Paul Murrell wrote:

Hi

Uwe Ligges wrote:

Confirmed.

I might look at it during August, since the underlying code is not that new to me. If Paul (or anybody else from R Core) has not answered yet and there is not already a related bug report in the database, I'd suggest to submit a bug report.

Yep, bug not lack-of-implementation.

Uwe: sounds like you might get to this before me. Some possibly useful observations from a brief look yesterday:
(i) Looks like only the actual drawing that is wrong; the bounding box calculations appear correct (the parentheses around the outside look about right)
(ii) The offending accents are all common to RenderAccent() (they all appear in AccentTable)

Paul, Henrik,

here we go - later than promised, but not too late for 2.0.0, I hope.

The last lines of RenderAccent() need:

+   if(draw)
    PMoveTo(savedX + width, savedY, mc);

rather than just

    PMoveTo(savedX + width, savedY, mc);

and it took me more than 2 painful hours to get the point! :-(

(Do we have a PR#? I don't find it.)

Uwe

Paul

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

Hi, I am not sure if this is a bug or a non-implement feature of
text-drawing functions with TeX-style expression, but hat() and some of its
equals does not get the right "bounding boxes" if they are put in sub- or
superscripts. For instance, for the expression 'b[hat(a)]' the hat() seems
to shift 'hat(a)' too much to the right of 'b'. Try the below example and
you'll see what I mean:

label <- list(
  expression((b[sqrt(a)])),
  expression((b[bar(a)])),
  expression((b[widehat(a)])),
  expression((b[widetilde(a)])),
  expression((tilde(a))),
  # Problematic:
  expression((b[dot(a)])),
  expression((b[ring(a)])),
  expression((b[hat(a)])),
  expression((b[tilde(a)])),
  expression((b^dot(a))),
  expression((b^ring(a))),
  expression((b^hat(a))),
  expression((b^tilde(a)))
)

plot(NA, xlim=c(0,2), ylim=c(-1,length(label)))
for (kk in seq(label))
  text(1,length(label)-kk, label=label[[kk]])

The problem occurs for the postscript and png devices too (I haven't tried
the others).

I'm on WindowsXP and "R version 1.9.1, 2004-06-21" (non-patched).

Best wishes

Henrik Bengtsson

Dept. of Mathematical Statistics @ Centre for Mathematical Sciences Lund Institute of Technology/Lund University, Sweden (+2h UTC)
+46 46 2229611 (off), +46 708 909208 (cell), +46 46 2224623 (fax)
h b @ m a t h s . l t h . s e, http://www.maths.lth.se/~hb/