There have been several constructive responses to John Sorkin's
comment, but none of them are fully satisfactory.  Of course, if you
know the name of the function you are looking for, there are lots of
ways to search — provided that everyone calls the function by a name
that matches your search.  If you think there might be a function,
but you don't know the name, then you have to be lucky in how you
search.  R is a language and the suggestions so far seem to me like
dictionary suggestions, whereas maybe what John is looking for is
something more like a thesarus.

R packages are a strange collection, as befits a growing language.
There are large packages, small packages, good packages (and not so
good packages), personal mixtures of tools in packages, packages to
accompany books, superceded packages, unusual packages, everything.
Above all there are lots of packages.  As the software editor of the
Journal of Statistical Software I suggested we should review R
packages.  No one has shown any enthusiasm for this suggestion, but I
think it would help.  Any volunteers?

Antony Unwin
Professor of Computer-Oriented Statistics and Data Analysis,
Mathematics Institute,
University of Augsburg,
Germany