This sort of works. It does select the E data, but unfortunately it
doesn't select the data from the other columns; I want to select data
across about 5 columns by the factor " E" in one of the columns. It
should be easy, but for some reason it is not working. The spaces
being added don't help.

It seems to work on my non-merged data files, although the merged
file contains all the data I need.

Thanks for the subset command though. Hadn't thought of using that.

?subset