On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Thaler, Thorn, LAUSANNE, Applied
Mathematics <thorn.tha...@rdls.nestle.com> wrote:
> Thanks, works as expected. But maybe I've to be a bit more clear about the
> reason why I'd like to have such a construct.
>
> In lattice you can define some parameters by passing a named list to
> par.settings. Suppose I want to superpose two lines and use colors different
> from the default:
>
> xyplot(1:10~c(1:5,1:5), type="o", groups=rep(1:2,each=5),
> par.settings=list(superpose.line=list(col=1:2),
> superpose.symbol=list(col=1:2)))
>
> I have to specify the same setting for superpose.line and superpose.symbol.
> If I'd use your proposition, I've to hardcode the respective item names. It
> is still an academic question, for there are thousands of ways to solve this
> issue, but I was just curious whether it is possible to find an one-liner
> without the need of specifying any temp variable.

Try this variation of my.transform that I had posted here:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/07/09/24707.html

List <- function(..., L = list()) {
       f <- function(){}
       formals(f) <- eval(substitute(as.pairlist(c(alist(...), L))))
       body(f) <- substitute(modifyList(L, list(...)))
       f()
}

xyplot(1:10~c(1:5,1:5), type = "o", groups = rep(1:2,each=5),
 par.settings = List(
   superpose.line = list(col = 1:2),
   superpose.symbol = superpose.line))