On 07/13/2010 07:46 PM, Raubertas, Richard wrote:
I agree that 'list' is a terrible package name, but only secondarily
because it is a data type.  The primary problem is that it is so generic

as to be almost totally uninformative about what the package does.

For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally uninformative
names for their packages.  To take some examples of recently announced
packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan'
do?  Why the aversion to informative names along the lines of
'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?

As an author of a package with a maximally uninformative name (lavaan), I like to believe that strange names can have strange attractions. After all, you did notice the package, didn't you?

Yves Rosseel, UGent.