Use the source, Luke. varImpPlot calls randomForest:::importance.randomForest (yeah, that is three colons) and reading about the scale= parameter in help("importance", package="randomForest") should enlighten you. For the impatient, try

varImpPlot(mtcars.rf, scale=FALSE)

Hope this helps a little.

Allan