Hi there

I am setting up a FreeBSD server for my research department at university,
and one of my teachers needs specifically R modules like tm, RWeka, rJava
and the like.

I have installed FreeBSD 8.0/i386 and applied the relevant security patches
as well as the native FreeBSD JDK 1.6 with its latest patchset.

I have installed R 2.11 and enabled Java support on it. Now, when trying to
install rJava both from inside R via install.packages(rJava) or R CMD
INSTALL myrJava.tar.gz I get the same error lines:

==============================================================================================================
gcc44 -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o rJava.so Rglue.o arrayc.o
callJNI.o callback.o fields.o init.o jri_glue.o loader.o otables.o rJava.o
tools.o -L/usr/local/jdk1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/server
-L/usr/local/jdk1.6.0/jre/lib/i386 -L/usr/local/jdk1.6.0/jre/../lib/i386 -L
-L/usr/java/packages/lib/i386 -L/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -ljvm
-pthread -L/usr/local/lib/R/lib -lR
(cd ../jri && make)
make -C src JRI.jar
/usr/local/bin/javac -target 1.4 -source 1.4 -d .
javac: no source files
Usage: javac <options> <source files>
use -help for a list of possible options
*** Error code 2

Stop in /tmp/Rtmp00B32A/R.INSTALL10d63af1/rJava/jri/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/Rtmp00B32A/R.INSTALL10d63af1/rJava/jri.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/Rtmp00B32A/R.INSTALL10d63af1/rJava/src.
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'rJava'
==============================================================================================================

I have taken a look at the Makefiles trying to determine if I needed jdk1.4
or higher, as the output suggest 1.4 is been used, but it seems that 1.4
references are there only for compatibility reasons. Also, I could find no
logs that bring more info.

Did anybody stumble upon this issue? I have tried to Google around in the
lists and found nothing.

Note that the error is the same when I try to install rJava 0.8.4 from
inside R or rJava 0.8.5 manually so it makes me think it is not a rJava
release issue but a FreeBSD-rJava issue. I understood there might be many
FreeBSD users in this list, so I decided to come to the most specific
mailing list.

Thank you very much in advance and have a nice day,

Iñigo Ortiz de Urbina

PS: This is my second message, I first had a pending approval issue that
showed up as an incomplete message on the list that might be confusing, so I
decided to signup, re-post and stay around for some time :)