My understanding is that polr will do ordered logit but I am not sure if it
is also suited for rank ordered logit (or is there no such distinction)

I am thinking of following two situations

1. there is an ordered response (say small,medium,large coffee) and each
individual selects one of these options. the order is predetermined i.e we
know which one is small, medium or large and interested in knowing which
option is selected. in this case each choice is independent because
different individuals choose them
2. an individual ranks some or all the options (say three different types of
coffee). We do not know apriori what the order is beforehand - these ranks
are dependent because the same individual selects them

I am calling the 1st situation - ordered logit and 2nd situation - rank
ordered logit.

Are these equivalent situations and is polr suited for both?

Suresh