Hi,

I have a bright, diligent second-year graduate student who wants to learn statistics and R and will, in effect, be taking a tutorial from me on these subjects. (If you've seen some of my questions on this list, please don't laugh.) As an undergrad he majored in philosophy, so this will be his first foray into computer programming and statistics.

I'm thinking of having him use "Introductory Statistics with R" by Peter Dalgaard, but I'm unable to tell if the book requires calculus. I don't think this student knows calculus, so this would be a deal breaker. Can someone tell me if my student can get through this book starting out with just knowledge of algebra?

Also, do you have other suggestions for texts, manuals, web sites, etc. that would introduce statistics and R simultaneously?

Thanks,

    Marsh Feldman