Please try:
data <-  xts(data[,2:n], order.by=as.POSIXct(strptime(data[,1],
"%d/%m/%Y")))

Use similar strptime for hours also.n=number of columns.

Good Luck
Raghu

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Lily_stats [via R] <
ml-node+2307936-1777222343-309...@n4.nabble.com<ml-node%2b2307936-1777222343-309...@n4.nabble.com>
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to convert my dataset into xts. I have tried the following :
>
> data1<-read.table("data1.txt",header=F)
> data2<-read.table("data2.txt",header=F)
>
> data1.xts<as.xts(data1,descr="my new xts object)
>
> However, I get an error :
>
> Error in as.POSIXlt.character(x, tz, ...) :
>   character string is not in a standard unambiguous format
>
> I understand that my date and time format might not be accepted and have
> tried to convert this but failed.
>
> Could you suggest something ?
>
> My date is in the format : dd/mm/yyyy
> My time is in the format : hh:00